Mr. Miller has handled cases across the State of Texas. He enjoys a broad general civil practice involving business and commercial disputes, employment claims, professional malpractice claims, shareholder and fiduciary disputes and other civil matters. He also advises businesses regarding commercial transactions, corporate governance and regulatory compliance. He brings practical and measured counsel to complex and often difficult circumstances.
Mr. Miller is a native Texan, born in Austin, Texas. He graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, and received his law degree from the University of Texas School of Law in Austin.
Mr. Miller started his career as a prosecutor for the City of Dallas, and then joined Minton, Burton, Foster & Collins, P.C. in Austin, Texas where he practiced criminal, civil and family law. Mr. Miller’s numerous criminal cases gave him experience with delicate issues, and ease with jurors, witnesses, and judges which he later brought to his solo civil practice. That comfort in the courtroom translated to a more sophisticated civil practice at Armbrust & Brown PLLC and as a partner at Piper, Burnett, Turner, Bollier, Miller PLLC.
Mr. Miller has demonstrated his dedication to the legal profession as a Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation and a Fellow of the Austin Bar Foundation. Mr. Miller was named a “Super Lawyer” in the practice of civil litigation by Thomson Reuters in 2016 and 2017. He is also a member of the Texas Bar Association and the Austin Bar Association, and the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Texas.
- Defended employer against employment discrimination claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Defended lawyer and law firm in lawsuit alleging legal malpractice and violations of the Texas and federal securities laws.
- Defended company in federal court in lawsuit involving suit on a note and claims relating to maintenance and repair of transport category aircraft.
- Defending aviation company in lawsuit alleging breach of contract involving sale of transport category aircraft.
- Defended aviation company in dispute involving carrier’s lien and shipment of engines for transport category aircraft.
- Defended national equipment supplier in lawsuit involving commercial transport, enforcing forum selection clause in commercial contract.
- Defended community bank in lawsuit by individual borrowers alleging numerous business torts, including breach of fiduciary duty and violations of the Texas Finance Code.
- Court-appointed ad litem to represent a minor as next friend in evaluating and issuing reports regarding minor’s civil claims.
- Defended aviation company in Circuit Court of Miami-Dade County, Florida against claims by airline and obtained dismissal, which was affirmed on appeal. Atlantic Express Airlines v. Jetran Int’l Ltd., Cause No. 3D15-1116 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2016).
- Defended resort owner in lawsuit by condominium developer seeking declaratory judgment and obtained favorable judgment on appeal. Horseshoe Bay Resort, Ltd. v. CRVI CDP Portfolio, LLC, 415 S.W.3d 370 (Tex.App.—Eastland 2013, no pet.).
- Defended lawyer in lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duty and obtained take-nothing judgment after bench trial, which was affirmed on appeal. Hale v. Prud’homme, 2009 WL 349155 (Tex.App.—Austin 2009).
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Prosecutor, City of Dallas
- Partner, Minton, Burton, Foster and Collins PC
- President, Jeffrey D. Miller PC
- Of Counsel, Armbrust & Brown PLLC
- Partner, Piper, Burnett, Turner, Bollier and Miller PLLC
- Texas Christian University, Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Texas School of Law, Juris Doctorate
Community and Recognition
- Member, Texas Bar Association
- Member, Austin Bar Association
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Austin Bar Foundation
- Named a “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters in 2016 and 2017.